This is a yummy and versatile staple. I make it about twice a week and eat it most days. It works for any meal!
I don't really measure, I just throw everything in, the key is to get a sticky consistency that holds together on your baking tray. The following will make one big loaf.
- 450ml buttermilk
- 340g of whole wheat flour (if you prefer you can use a mix of plain and whole wheat)
- 80g of oats
- 80g of Seeds of your choosing (I use a combination of sunflower / chia seeds / pine nuts / linseeds)
- 1 tbl spoon of baking soda or powder
- A sprinkling of salt (I use Maldon sea salt flakes)
- 1 tbl spoon of honey or maple syrup
Preheat the oven to 180 C or 355 F.
Take a large mixing bowl and mix the whole wheat flour, oats, seeds, baking powder and salt.
Then mix together the dry ingredients with a spoon.
Slowly add the buttermilk, mixing as you go.
Depending on the types of seeds you use you will need less or more milk. The key is to bind the ingredients so that they hold together in a sticky wet-ish lump.
Dust flour on a baking tray and put the mixture in the middle of the tray. It should look like a big lump!
Alternatively you can place it in a bread tin.
Let it cook for approx 35-40 min depending on your oven. You'll now it's ready when you stick a knife in it and the knife comes out clean and when you knock on the base it sounds hollow.
Leave to cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes.
This bread is super yummy and healthy- enjoy!
- Real butter & Raw honey.
- A spread of Hummus and/or half an avocado, some chopped tomatoes, a little bit of chopped chilli, a little squeeze of lime juice and some coriander or bail or rocket. Season with a bit of sea salt and pepper – YUM!
- Butter and a poached, boiled or scrambled egg with salt and pepper.
- Wild smoked salmon, butter, squeeze of lemon juice.
- Avocado/tomato/onion (or spring onion) and cheese ( good quality cheese) on toasted brown bread bring the ingredients and assemble at work.
You get the idea – this bread is so healthy and filling, one slice should be plenty!